the story continues

So for all of you that read my previous post and have come back for more thank you.

So last time I finished with my EOS400 in a drawer, It was and still is a great camera for getting started and made a very affordable way of transiting from film to digital. The problem was it was a very basic camera and my needs were outgrowing it rapidly!

I should like to mention at this point I am not specifically brand loyal to Canon, yes their products have served me very well but I really don't buy into the whole Canon versus Nikon thing. Both companies produce exceptional equipment as do many others. As I started my digital journey with Canon it is however logical to continue with them.
The camera I truly desired was an EOS7. So much more advanced than the 400, faster frames per second, better processor the whole thing. And having finally got my hands on one it truly was everything and more I could have wished for. So much so that when the MK1 went out of production and the price on the last few plummeted I bought a second one! I think this was a defining time for me, I moved from jpeg to RAW and started using photoshop elements for post processing. I feel at this point I should say I was not then and I am still not "proficient" with photo processing but I am learning. If anyone reading this is in the same position buying a book can help but for me did not provide all the answers. Gleaning bits of info from magazines and even youtube tutorials all help. My biggest enemy was and is time.
So armed with my two EOS7's and a mixture of lenses some Canon and some Sigma (A good alternative if like me you are on a budget!) I set out to shoot as much as I could!
Mostly my interests were and still are motorsport and aviation but I like to shoot many other subjects as well either for a change or the challenge. Of late the aviation has tended to squeeze the motorsport out a little but not entirely.
By this time I was also getting more serious about printing and storing my images. Storage is a problem for any photographer weather it be film or digital. (could this be a future blog post in it's own right!) One of the things that makes digital so attractive over the old 35mm film is economy. Yes it can be expensive buying a decent printer, paper and ink but once the investment is made you only print what YOU want and you don't pay for printed images that didn't come out how you wanted.
For a long time I only printed A4 and was very happy with it then one day I was lucky enough to get a second hand A3 printer. Oh the difference!!!!! maybe it's me but an A3 has an impact to it that A4 simply cannot match in my eyes. But back to the storage issue, bigger prints equals bigger folders equals more storage space. With this in mind I try to only print those images I REALLY like. This eases the storage issue, keeps costs down and I think quite importantly pushes me to be self critical.
At this point I will hit post. I hope you like my ramblings and I will start work on my next post soon. Please feel free to comment on what I post, I'm quite new to posting with more words than pictures and welcome your thoughts. Thank you.

Comments

Popular Posts